I decided not to make any vague resolutions for myself this year. I decided to not for a few reasons. I do certainly I have some big goals for this year and this summer, but I have personally found goals like ‘be healthier’ or ‘make God center of life’ to be, well, a little gratuitous. One of my struggles has always been being unncessarily hard on myself. I mean, I was getting upset with myself for sleeping in till 11 on weekends when I was getting, on average, about 4-5 hours of sleep a night during the week or questioning why I wasn’t more stressed out on a consistent basis. And trust me, I was stressed enough. So in regard to vague New Year Resolutions, chill the hell out is my only one.
But, I enjoy lists. I make myself a to-do list every week because I always conveniently forget to do things if I don’t. So I made myself a list. Forty things I want to do before I turn twenty. I thought about making a mini for when I turn nineteen this summer or making one for the whole year, but felt like I needed a little more time than that. I had a mini freak-out when I realized that I’m turning twenty next year. Twenty years old! I know you old farts are gonna remind me that you’re double that, plus some. ;) But, go back to being twenty and remember how old this is.
So this is my list. I turn 20 on June 26, 2012. I’ll be blogging everything and tagging them all with Forty Before Twenty, so stay tuned.
1. buy an instant camera. done.
2. go on a roadtrip with friends. done.
3. publish a zine. done.
4. take ten photos of strangers. done.
5. start a business with me. done.
6. go to ellis island. done.
7. see a broadway show. done.
8. take photos in silver city, idaho. done.
9. volunteer somewhere. done.
10. be a vegan for two weeks to a month. done.
11. take portraits of grandma and grandpa. done.
12. create my own photography website. done.
13. get a medium format camera. done.
14. read a jane austen book. done.
15. go salsa dancing. done.
16. go to the bruneau sand dunes. done.
17. embroider something. done.
18. take photos of mama. done.
19. bake a loaf of bread. done.
20. visit a new east coast state. done.
21. learn to crochet. done.
22. throw a pretty party. done.
23. go roller skating. done.
24. try african food. done.
25. buy rainboots. done.
26. paint a series of paintings. done.
27. revisit and photograph my childhood neighborhood. done.
28. take ‘random objects’ photos. done.
29. have an art picnic. done.
30. go to a country music concert. done.
31. buy a bikini. done.
32. create a mini stop motion film. done.
33. build a blanket fort. done.
34. stay in a junky motel. done.
35. sew something. done.
36. leave a note for a stranger. done.
37. submit at least twenty things for publication. done.
38. go on a no-soda challenge for a month. done.
39. make someone happy-cry. done.
40. photograph this list.