New times…

style2

(Sources: Evelyn Brent, Eve Delf by Vanessa Jackman, Barbara Pavlin by Eric Geuillemain in Vogue Australia, Hannah Metz for The Loved One, 1920s French Brassiere )

Here is a story for you. When I started thrift shopping and stopped caring if people thought my outfits were weird(some time around my sophomore year of high school), I started liking fashion and my fashion choices. I have this body and I get to decorate it and feel like a fairy or a badass woman (or a strong, badass fairy?) by changing my clothes or wearing bright lipstick and unmatching headbands. I know its not the clothes that can make me feel awesome (and BE awesome), but costumes are fun and empowering! So, why not wear weird shit that makes you feel cool?

I’ve always liked the freedom to be able to “be” whatever I felt like being and change my look from the day to day. Somedays I wear skinny jeans, tees, and Toms and then other days I wear flowery dresses and curly hair. I’ve always enjoyed that freedom to change the persona and look I’m wearing that day. My closet is a weird combination of all these things. Yet, lately I stand in front of it and pull out yet another recycled outfit with disinterest. Most of the pieces don’t feel like “me” anymore and I’m just bored with all of it. I’ve been feeling like I want to pick one look and stick to it.

I’ve been complaining about this a lot (poor Stephanie!), so I decided last week to do something about it. I had a tiny faint idea of the look that felt like “me”(me is in quotes because I feel like this a lot. Oh hey young person angst!), but I didn’t know how to articulate it. I decided to open up Pinterest and pull out images I identified with. Above is a small collection of that Pinterest board. I realized that I love dramatic, flowy hair, red lips, heavy 1920s detailing, soft pinks, whites, with pops of black. I like wearable and flowy pieces and a hint of sparkle. Oh hey “me”!

With my small student budget, I haven’t quite figured out how I’m going to transform my closet into this moodboard, “Kara” dreamland…. I’m planning on losing the red hair for good this summer (seriously… I KNOW RIGHT?) and entertaining the idea of wearing vintage brassieres as shirts.  Lots of time and thrift dates are in my future, perhaps?

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Mandi April 10, 2012, 12:33 pm

I like all of this. I’ve been feeling the same way about my clothes too. I wish I had money to execute more ideas, but oh well!

• Michelle Clement March 24, 2012, 10:23 pm

I’m kind of feeling like my outsides aren’t matching my insides, and I don’t know if I could even call it ‘young person angst’ anymore…lol. :) But either way, I hear ya! I wish every thrift shop had exactly what I wanted for $1, at this point. Oh, a girl can dream…but until then, I keep searching for things and mustering up some courage. I had some courage in high school (hello, blue hair, and armful of trademark 50 plastic bracelets, and pants so wide 5 legs could fit into one), but I lost it somewhere along the line…oh my. I love your inspiration pics, here!!

• Genevieve March 22, 2012, 1:04 am

Oh, yes, I completely agree and understand- definitely am in a little confused style funk right now, and since I have too much to say, I made a list:
    1. I love that image you linked to: yes, yes, and yes.
    2. Sometimes I feel like I am inspired by TOO many images, you know. This world is so visually cluttered that I can’t help but be attracted to anything and everything remotely shiny, like a magpie
    3. I love that brasserie, and think that wearing that as a shirt would be amazing
    4. Have fun shopping!! I always find it helpful to go with an image that encapsulates what you’re looking for, and being very very specific with what you’re looking for, and then constantly referencing that images against everything that you try on!

• shaina longstreet March 21, 2012, 1:46 pm

loosing the red hair?? that sounds exciting and transformative. can’t wait to see what you pick. :) this is a fun post kara.

• Kaylie March 20, 2012, 6:50 pm

I know how you feel. I had/am having a similar fashion epiphany.

I think these days we are surrounded by so many gorgeous and lovely things to look at and wear, and – I know I do – feel so overwhelmed and forget what it actually means to look like myself. I become so preoccupied with what other people wear and wish I did, that I get so confused.

For a long time I had strawberry blonde hair and I never felt more confident in myself. However my hair was starting to get pretty dry and horrible so I dyed in back to brown and waited for it to grow out. Now I have my hair cut and most of the dead hair gone I’m stuck in two minds. Am I still that girl with the strawberry blonde hair or am I someone different now?

Got proper into babbling then. Basically, I get you. ;D

• katiecupcake March 20, 2012, 1:22 pm

oh kara, i totally know how you feel! i’ve slowly been adjusting my wardrobe to be more “me” for probably a year now. i completely love the photos you gathered for inspiration! good luck!

• Mel March 20, 2012, 5:48 am

Good for you! I’ve had that feeling for a while, and the stall is always my budget, which is why this year I’ve made it a goal to start making my own clothes. This way, any money I spend is going toward learning something new AND I get pretty new dresses out of it!! Win/win. It’s kind of like thrifting, where you’re spending money on recycling things, so it doesn’t really feel like a complete drain of resources.

Good luck and happy daydreaming!

Mel

• Emily Ann March 20, 2012, 5:46 am

These images are all lovely and beautiful. I wouldn’t worry too much about defining one look though. I have kind of felt like I have wanted/needed to do that in the past, but I like dressing like a ’90s grunge punk rock fairy one day and a fifties housewife the next. It means I never get bored! What color hair are you going to go for? I had various color of red forever, and finally switched to blonde a year ago. I love it! :)

• Sarah Rooftops March 20, 2012, 2:11 am

I had a moment the other day when I had gone vintage shopping with a friend and neither of us bought anything. It had been a special, planned trip and for a moment we felt really disappointed. Then we realised that for the first time we weren’t anxiously trying to build our *me* wardrobes – we had everything we needed and could afford to be discerning. It was lovely.

What I’m trying to say, I guess, is just that it takes time… but you’ve got a clear focus and an excuse to shop – enjoy!